Pre-clone check on an SSD?

Kilobyte Kid

Pre-clone check on an SSD?

I think this is how to tell if I need to run chkdsk c: /r, BEFORE I make a clone (am I right?)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Stuck on CHKDSK? How to Use & Fix It the Right Way . . . https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stuck-chkdsk-use-fix-right-way/

Use this command on C:

CMD Prompt (Run as Administrator) / chkntfs c:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you get the following message, then it is not scheduled to run, and that’s good.  The drive is fine.

The type of the file system is NTFS.
C: is not dirty.

If you get a message like this (I don't think I got the exact wording), then you need to run chkdsk c: /r

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume C: is dirty

What's going on?  A volume can be marked dirty if the system suffered a power interruption (power failure, plug pulling, battery removal, power button), aborted restart or ungraceful shutdown.

2 Replies
Silicon Sultan

Re: Pre-clone check on an SSD?

Sure, you can run those commands, and you might also try a defrag of the hdd (if that is what you are coming from), and optionally shrink the original data partition, leaving a bit of wiggle room, which will give you the option to use the remainder of the free space on the ssd as unallocated, to be used by the controller routines, as you can expand the cloned partition once the new drive is up and running,. This would allow you to custom set the data partition if you wanted to do so.  You might also run an sfc/scannow before cloning. 

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Pre-clone check on an SSD?

I have verified with Clonezilla . . . yes, this is correct

Pre-clone check on an SSD? . . . chkntfs c: . . . Clonezilla live . . . https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/discussion/Clonezilla_live/thread/37c49983/