[SOLVED] Crucial MX500 does not work properly with Linux Ubuntu

Kilobyte Kid

[SOLVED] Crucial MX500 does not work properly with Linux Ubuntu

I have a Dell Inspiron computer with internal SSD Crucial_CT525MX300SSD1 (M0CR040). This disk is divided into Linux and Windows partitions. My default OS is Linux Ubuntu, but there is a possibility to boot Windows (from grub menu).

Recently I bought one more SSD - Crucial MX500. I intend to use it as an additional (external) drive via USB. I connected my new disk to my computer, formatted (gpt), created Ext2 partition. Everything worked well until I restarted the computer.

When I restarted the computer, it booted into Windows, without even starting grub. I disconnected SSD, and the computer booted as expected - Linux Ubuntu.

Next thing I did, I checked boot order in BIOS. There are only 2 options "ubuntu" & "windows boot manager". "ubuntu" is the first. I disabled the WBM option. In that case, the computer does not start, producing a message "no bootable device" (this is again, with SSD connectes. when SSD is not connected, the computer boots into Ubuntu, WBM enabled or disabled)

Please tell me what is wrong here? Which one is flawed - the computer or the new SSD?

3 Replies

Re: Crucial MX500 does not work properly with Linux Ubuntu

A software config issue in how you setup dual booting I would imagine?  Rather than hardware (either the drive or your PC).  I'm afraid I don't know what the issue is though - I haven't dual booted in years (I tend to use VM's these days).  Hopefully someone else can help you but if not, you might have more luck asking on a Linux forum.

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Upgrade Ace

This is a Dell UEFI issue or possibly an Ubuntu Grub compatibility issue that isn't identifying the ESP partition properly.   I'm thinking by adding another drive (even by USB) it has changed the order or the identification of the drives and the UEFI no longer sees your Ubuntu boot files because it is looking on the wrong drive.  One would think the Dell UEFI would reference a UUID of the ESP partition, but it seems this is not the case.  I'm guessing it boots to Windows because that is the only OS most systems are made for so it automatically scans for the Windows boot files.

I would suggest creating a new Ubuntu boot option in the Dell UEFI settings and make it the default option (name it "Ubuntu with USB" so it can be distinguished from the previous option).     I would leave the previous entry in case it is needed if the USB drive is not connected.  Make sure the new SSD is connected to USB when you boot the computer into your UEFI settings so the systems sees the drives in their proper order.   (Is the Windows Boot Manager the default when you enter the UEFI settings this way?  If so, change the order now  & try again.)

Otherwise boot to the Ubuntu installer (with your new SSD connected to USB as you boot) and go into Rescue Mode and reinstall Grub.  Hopefully with the USB drive attached it will be able to properly configure Dell's UEFI boot options.  If Ubuntu Recovery Mode provides a menu option to reinstall Grub, use it.  If using the command line to reinstall Grub, then be careful with the options you pass to it (research it well as I made a MacBook into a brick a while back which should be impossible, but UEFI on motherboards appears to be poorly implemented).   

There have been a couple of other posts on these forums where Windows users have had UEFI boot issues with their cloned SSDs so you are not alone.

You may want to update your Dell's firmware to the latest version released in 2017 in case it fixed this issue.   I would hold off on upgrading to a 2018 firmware for a few more weeks until it is confirmed the most recent firmware is stable & reliable as Intel has been rushing to release updates to mitigate against the Spectre vulnerabilities and messed up big time back in January.

To learn about UEFI booting and how poorly it is implemented by vendors I would suggest looking over Rod's website as it has a lot of information.  Check out other portions besides the link I provided.  I also find the Arch wiki is good for information as well even for Ubuntu users.

Please let us know how you make out or if you need further assistance.

Kilobyte Kid

I finally solved my problem. Actually, it was quite simple. I formatted it as "msdos" instead of "gpt", and everything works well now Smiley Happy