Which Windows diagnostic scans are safe for my SSD

HCC
Kilobyte Kid

Which Windows diagnostic scans are safe for my SSD

April 2013 we bought our first laptop, an HP 8460p, and immediately cloned the system on the HD included to a 256GB  crucial SSD (CT256M4SSD2). Running Windows 7. A fabulous match and everything was smooth until my desktop died and I had to press the laptop into full and intensive service.

I'm an intermediate-advanced end-user. I know I need up update the firmware (040H), but want to wait until we get my new desktop built. I was accoustomed to maintaining my HD in the old desktop, running defrag every month or so, and CHKDSK and/or sfc /scannow if I start getting errors or application problems. I've had a couple of recurrent errors that involving HP Power Assistant, though there doesn't seem to have any effect on the system. I have also been dealing with a multiple copies of seriously corrupt Quicken file. While I am fairly sure I copied those bad files from the old drive, I would like to make sure this ssd is healthy and stays that way.

I know defrag should not be used. Unfortunately, it ran a few times in the last month before I realized that the system was set up to do this weekly (Isn't Windows supposed to recognize the presence of an SSD and stop that nonsense?).  I don't even want to think about the issues that may have caused.

I am concerned about using the two other scans: Are the results going to make any sense, and can the scans be run safely (e.g. no damage to my SSD). Are there alternatives that would work for someone who is not a dedicated techie?

Any advice would be appreciated.

HC Crain

5 Replies
Megabyte Maverick

Re: Which Windows diagnostic scans are safe for my SSD

Hello HCC and welcome to the Crucial forum. As far as using the "sfc /scannow" command, I don't see any harm in using it since it only looks for corrupted or missing Windows system files. As far as using the "chkdsk" command, I believe it's a matter of which options you choose to add to the command line. Running "chkdsk /f" (to "fix" filesystem errors) shouldn't cause any problems because it is looking for errors on the filesystem level, and not on the physical media itself.

Running "chkdsk /r" (to "recover" data from bad sectors and rewrite it to good sectors) is another story. I can't say for certain if using it would add an appreciable amount of wear and tear on your SSD. Under the right conditions, it might. But I think using the "/r" option is completely unnecessary because your SSD's firmware should already taking care of this issue with wear leveling. Maybe another forum member can add to this, or correct me if I'm wrong. 

JEDEC Jedi

HCC wrote:

I know defrag should not be used. Unfortunately, it ran a few times in the last month before I realized that the system was set up to do this weekly (Isn't Windows supposed to recognize the presence of an SSD and stop that nonsense?).  I don't even want to think about the issues that may have caused.

It didn't know you had an SSD because you cloned a HD.  A fresh install of Windows would have known.  If you run a WEI benchmark after cloning, it will spot you have an SSD.  It won't have done any harm though, just added a little wear but a modern SSD can take a lot of wear.

Thre's nothing inherently unsafe to run on an SSD - just things that add wear whilst not having any benefit.  Such as defrag.  Defrag is designed to counter the high seek times of HD's by moving files around.  SSD's have low seek times so this isn't needed so it doesn't benefit the drive, whilst adding a little wear by needlessly moving stuff around.

So you can safely run anything you need that will help you fix Windows.  You should also consider http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html to check out the drives SMART self diagnostic data.  Be sure to do a custom install and untick the adware during the install.  And hide your serial number if you want to post the data up on here.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
HCC
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you!

HCC

HCC
Kilobyte Kid

targetbsp wrote:

HCC wrote:

It didn't know you had an SSD because you cloned a HD.  A fresh install of Windows would have known.  If you run a WEI benchmark after cloning, it will spot you have an SSD.  It won't have done any harm though, just added a little wear but a modern SSD can take a lot of wear.

Thre's nothing inherently unsafe to run on an SSD - just things that add wear whilst not having any benefit.  Such as defrag.  Defrag is designed to counter the high seek times of HD's by moving files around.  SSD's have low seek times so this isn't needed so it doesn't benefit the drive, whilst adding a little wear by needlessly moving stuff around.

So you can safely run anything you need that will help you fix Windows.  You should also consider http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html to check out the drives SMART self diagnostic data.  Be sure to do a custom install and untick the adware during the install.  And hide your serial number if you want to post the data up on here.

Thank you! I have run WEI, and when I look at Task Scheduler | Windows, Defrag is disabled, and apparently has never been run. However, HP has Scheduled a weekly Task: "PC Health Analysis". Those are probably the results I see flashing by. Nothing Obvious in Event Log. Think I will disable that until I find out what Task/Tasks are running every week. Until I put this laptop into full time service, it wasn't on more than once every two weeks...except during a few long trips. <Sigh>. Probably enough on time for more defrags than I had figured. Solved one problem and put me onto the trail of another!

I shall download and carefully install crystalmark, and watch the SN if /when I post. I've seen some of those posts and my eyes crossed.

I sure am glad there is expertise to help me keep this SSD healthy...and the next one. The desktop we're going to build will have a big Crucial SSD for the OS.

HCC

Kilobyte Kid

Yes, chkdsk c: /r is ok . . . It fixed my SSD when chkdsk c: /f did not:

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Partclone-WARNING-The-disk-has-bad-sectors-MX300-SSD/td-p/...