Windows 10 Required Partitions and Recommended Layout for use with Bitlocker on MX500 SSD

Kilobyte Kid

Windows 10 Required Partitions and Recommended Layout for use with Bitlocker on MX500 SSD

I followed the guide posted here and now have a working win10 installation on MX500 with encryption managed by BL.  However due to the additional drives in my system when installing (in UEFI mode) my SSD has no EFI partition.  This became a big issue when i enabled secureboot on my ga-170x g3.  I want to start over and do this right, leaving out my other disks during the process this time.  What is the recommended method for ensuring EFI partition is present and drive will be ready for Secure Boot one encrypted.  I understand that if I enable SB prior to installation it should go much more smoothly in regard to SB keys, is this correct?

The only option I see is to completely reset the drive and start over.  Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

badgenes

1 Reply
SODIMM Sherpa

Re: Windows 10 Required Partitions and Recommended Layout for use with Bitlocker on MX500 SSD

Before starting from scratch, you could try booting the system with a Windows 10 installer and performing a Startup Repair to see if it will address your issue.  If it doesn't work with all your drives connected, you could try it with only your Win10 drive connected.

Keep in mind if there is a bootable OS on the other drives, this will likely render them unbootable without some extra work and it could render everything unbootable so make sure you have backups or another bootable device to access your files.

Another option is to remove the EFI boot partitions from the other drives or delete the files from the EFI partitions  if they are not needed to boot another OS and try the Startup Repair option again.

A Windows 10 installer can be downloaded directly from Microsoft.

Also check to see if your motherboard's system settings can be set to your Win10 drive.  I'm not sure if this will affect the Windows installer or repair process.  Of course without an EFI boot partition Windows won't boot on a UEFI enabled system.

I cannot address your other concerns since I am no longer a Windows user, but I do know that Windows does not play nice with other bootable drives.  In theory it should not matter if the other drives have valid EFI boot partitions, however, Windows usually assumes it is the only bootable OS in the system so it is hard to tell what will happen as you may have found out.  I also don't know how Secure Boot and BitLocker could affect this process.