Memory Upgrade

Kilobyte Kid

Memory Upgrade

I tired the ram upgrade tool and could not even find the memory I have installed.
I have an ASUS P5Q SE Plus motherboard with 8GB of ram 4 each CT25664AA667.M16FH memory.
OS is Windows 7 Home Premium SP-1
I bought the memory from Crucial in 2009 using the upgrade tool when I built my PC.

I want to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB and CT51264AA667.M16FC looks like a good alternative.
These are to 2 in question, top I have, bottom would like to purchase if they work.
CT25664AA667.M16FH Crucial 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHz non-ECC Unbuffered CL5 240-Pin DIMM Memory Module
CT51264AA667.M16FC Crucial 4GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHz non-ECC Unbuffered CL5 240-Pin DIMM Memory Module

Thanks for help

7 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Memory Upgrade

You can also use the Crucial Advisor Tool.    I just searched Crucial and found this page for you (verify the model).

Kilobyte Kid

Link did not help, only shows 2GB sticks.

Thanks

JEDEC Jedi

You're right, I don't see any 4GB modules listed at the  moment.   You should contact Crucial Support directly to have them provide you with a compatible 4GB part number to order.   While someone from Crucial may respond on these forums, it may take longer than contacting them directly.   I've always had a good experience with their Live Chat.

Kilobyte Kid

Check these  2 sites out, I have the CT25664AA667.M16FH

http://www.memory4less.com/crucial-2gb-ddr2-pc5300-ct25664aa667-m16fh

http://www.memory4less.com/crucial-4gb-ddr2-pc5300-ct51264aa667-m16fc

The lower one might work, I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope, 

Kilobyte Kid

The only difference us this one says China, mine says United States.

JEDEC Jedi

The specifications posted appear identical, but remember there are other timings that may affect compatibility.   Mostl likely it will work, but I would suggest contacting Crucial Support  directly for verification to minimze your risk.    

Did you see the note at the very bottom of the page you linked where it says "refurbished" under "General Information"?   Also realize you have 10 days to notify them of an issue for a return and will be charged a restocking fee.

Not knowing your situation, but for those prices have you considered investing in a new system instead?

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks, I had not noticed the "refurbished" I used those links for the information that they contained.

I put my old system together about 9 years ago, and wanted to spruce it up.

New was out of the question so "refurbished" or "used" was good.

Those priced out at $147.10 each for a total of $588.40 not counting shipping.

$588.40 is a good start on a new system, way to much for an upgrade.

So I checked eBay and found some for about $32 each.

It helps to shop around, total bill came to $127.98 for 4 sticks.

Should arrive today or Tomorrow..

Thanks for all your help.