is it even worth it to upgrade a lenovo Flex 4?

Bit Baby

is it even worth it to upgrade a lenovo Flex 4?

Is there a cpu/gpu upgrade that fits as well as the SSD upgrade and RAM Memorry? Am i better off just buying something else? please direct me.

1 Reply
Highlighted
DIMMented

Re: is it even worth it to upgrade a lenovo Flex 4?

Most laptops are unable to upgrade the CPU or GPU.  As far as whether an SSD and/or RAM upgrade is better than a new laptop depends on how you use (going to use) the laptop.   It is also possible Windows itself or other installed software is causing performance issues or your drive could be failing.

To see if a RAM upgrade is even needed, you need to monitor your memory usage after using the laptop normally and after your hardest use (before closing apps or rebooting).   I don't use Windows so I'm not sure what utility might be included now which can monitor this for you.  I believe there is a built-in system monitoring utility you can configure & use.    I used to use Task Manager as a rough guide back when I used Windows XP.   You want to see how much free & cached memory is available while you are working and how much is being paged out to a swap file.  You want to minimize page outs as that is when memory is saved to a swap file on the much slower drive.  If there are a lot of Page Outs, you could probably use more memory.

If your system is running really slow, you may want to check the health of your current drive by checking its SMART Attributes and by using its internal Extended or Long Self-Test (disable system/drive sleep & hibernation before running test so it is not interrupted since it may take several hours or more to complete).   I haven't used Windows for years so I'm not sure what good apps are available, but I do know about GSmartControl.   If there are any Reallocated Sectors or Events, Pending Sectors or Uncorrectable Errors then these will severely affect your laptop's performance and indicate a failing hard drive.

Years ago when I was still using Windows, I would erase my drive and do a clean install of Windows every couple of years to regain performance.  This was before system cleaning tools became popular (which I personally don't trust completely).   I've also had to work on some Windows 10 systems where Windows itself was having issues for some reason which severely affected performance.   These systems were upgraded from earlier versions of Windows, but were ony used for light web browsing & checking e-mail.  No virus or malware found, few if any third party apps installed, but Windows 10 itself had issues. 

If you are using Windows 10, make sure it is successfully installing all system updates.  Go into the Settings panel and make sure it is not stuck trying to download or  install an update.  This seems to be a fairly common issue this past year and it severely affects performance.

Maybe try these Windows 10 performance tweaks.  If you don't understand one of them, just skip it.  The easy to understand ones are the best performance tweaks anyway.

If you are using Windows 10, you should perform a full shutdown or restart once in a while to allow the system to clean itself up which may help a little with performance.  You do this by holding the Shift key as you click on Shutdown or Restart.   During the next boot you should see your systems POST and/or splash screen before you see the Windows boot screen.    Windows 10 default configuration is "Fast Boot" which disables the older traditional full reboot/shutdown process.